Ma'aseh Merkabah Literature
Book of Ezekiel
Book of Isaiah
A. Book of Ezekiel
1. Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the river Kebar that the Heavens (shamayim) were opened, and there appeared visions (mara'ot) of Elohim.
2. In the fifth day of the month which was the fifth year of King Jeho'achin's captivity,
3. The Word of God came expressly upon Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, in the land of the Chaldeans by the river Kebar; and the hand of the Holy One YHVH was there upon him.
4. And I looked, and, behold, a stormy Spirit (ruach) came out of the north, a great cloud, with a fire flashing up, so that a brightness was round about it; and out of the midst thereof was the Eye of Hashmal (Ayin, Eye of Vast Face), out of the midst of the fire.
5. And out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four Chayot (Holy Beings). And this was their appearance: they had the likeness of a man (Adam).
6. And every one had four faces, and every one of them had four wings.
7. And their feet were straight feet; and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf's foot; and they sparkled like the Eye of burnished brass.
8. And they had the hands of a man under their wings on their four sides; and as for the faces and wings, of them four,
9. Their wings were joined one to another; they turned NOT (Lo) when they went; they went everyone straightforward.
10. As for the likeness of their faces, they had the face of a man (Adam); and they four had the face of a lion on the right side; and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; and they four had also the face of an eagle.
11. Thus were their faces; and their wings were stretched upward, two wings of every one were joined to another, and two covered their bodies.
12. And they went every one straightforward; wherever the spirit went, they went.
13. As for the likeness of the Chayot, their appearance was like coals of fire, burning like the appearance of torches; it flashed up and down amongst the Chayot; and there was brightness to the fire, and out of the fire went forth lightning.
14. And the Chayot ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.
15. Now as I beheld the Chayot, behold one Ofan (Wheel) at the earth close by the Chayot, at the four faces thereof.
16. The appearance of the Ofanim (Wheels) and their action was like unto the Eye of Beryl; and they four had one likeness; and their appearance and their action was, as it were, an Ofan within an Ofan.
17. When they went, they went toward their four sides; they turned NOT (Lo) when they went.
18. As for their wings, they were high and full of fear (erah), and they four had their wings full of eyes round about.
19. And when the Chayot went, the Ofanim went hard by them; and when the Chayot were lifted up from the earth, the Ofanim were lifted up, too.
20. Wherever the Spirit (ruach) went, so they went; and the Ofanim were lifted up beside them. For the spirit of the Chayah was in the Ofanim.
21. When those went, these went, and when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the Ofanim were lifted up beside them. For the spirit of the Chayah was in the Ofanim.
22. And over the heads of the Chayot there was the likeness of a Firmament (raqia), like the cold Eye of Awe, stretched forth over their heads above.
23. From Abyss (tahat) to Firmament were their wings conformable, the one to the other. This one of them had two, and that one of them had two, which covered their bodies.
24. And they went, I heard the voice (qol) of their wings like the voice of great waters, like the voice of Shadhai a voice of tumult like the voice of a host; when they stood, they let down their wings.
25. As they went, I heard the voice from AL (Ol) ... within the Firmament that was over their heads, as they stood, they let down their wings.
26. And there was the likeness of a throne as if of sapphire, supporting and from AL within the Firmament, and upon the likeness of the throne was a likeness as the appearance of a man (Adam) upon it above.
27. And I saw the Eye of Hashmal (Vast Face), as the appearance of fire round about enclosing it. From the appearance of His loins and upward; and from the appearance of His loins and downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and there was brightness round about Him.
28. As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the glory of the Lord YHVH. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of One that spoke.
1. And He said unto me: "Son of man (Adam), stand upon your feet, and I will speak with you."
2. And my spirit (roochi) entered into me when He spoke unto me, and set me upon my feet; and I heard Him that spoke unto me.
12. Then the spirit lifted me up, and I heard behind me the voice of a great rushing: "Blessed be the glory of the Lord YHVH from His Place;"
13. Also the noise of the wings of the Chayot as they touched one another, and the noise of the Ofanim besides them, even the noise of a great rushing.
14. So the Spirit lifted me up, and took me away; and I went in bitterness, in the heat of my spirit, and the hand of the Lord YHVH was strong upon me.
1. And it came to pass in the sixth year, in the sixth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I sat in my house, and the elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand of the Lord YHVH Adonai fell there upon me.
2. Then I beheld, and lo, a likeness as the appearance of fire, from the appearance of His loins and downward, and from His loins and upward, as the appearance of splendor (zohar), as the Eye of Hashmal.
1. And I looked, and behold, EL of the Firmament (Small Face), that was AL-Head (i.e. Vast Face), the Kerubim, as a stone of sapphire was the appearance of the likeness of a throne.
2. And EL spoke to the man (ish) clothed in linen, and said: "Go in between the wheel (galgal), even under the Kerub, and fill both your hands with coals of fire from between the Kerubim, and dash them against the city." And he went in, in my sight.
3. Now the Kerubim stood on the right side of the house, when the man went in; and the cloud filled the inner court.
4. And the glory of the Lord YHVH mounted up from the Kerub to the threshold of the house; and the house was filled with the cloud, and the court was full of the brightness of the Lord YHVH's glory.
5. And the sound of the wings of the Kerubim was heard even to the outer court as the voice of EL Shadhai when He speaks.
6. And it came to pass, when he commanded the man clothed in linen, saying: "Take fire from between the wheel, from between the Kerubim," that he went in, and stood beside an Ofan.
7. And the Kerub stretched forth his hand from between the Kerubim unto the fire that was between the Kerubim, and took thereof, and put it into the hands of him that was clothed in linen, who took it and went out.
8. And there appeared in the Kerubim the form of a hand of a man (Adam) under their wings.
9. And I looked, and behold four Ofanim beside the Kerubim, one Ofan beside one Kerub, and another Ofan beside another Kerub; and the appearance of the Ofanim was as the Eye of Beryl.
10. And as for their appearance, they four had one likeness, as if an Ofan had been within an Ofan.
11. When they went, they went toward their four sides; they turned NOT (Lo) as they went, but to the place wherever the Head (rosh,Vast Face) looked, they followed IT.
12. And their whole body, and their backs, and their hands, and their wings, and the Ofanim were full of eyes round about, even the Ofanim that they four had.
13. As for the Ofanim, they were called in my hearing the wheel (cycle).
14. And every one had four faces: the first face was the face of a Kerub, and the second face was the face of a man (Adam), and the third the face of a lion (areh), and the fourth the face of an eagle (nesher).
15. And the Kerubim mounted up -- this is the Chayah that I saw by the river Kebar.
16. And when the Kerubim went, the Ofanim went beside them; and when the Kerubim lifted up their wings to mount up from the earth, the same Ofanim also turned not from beside them.
17. When they stood, these stood, and when they mounted up, these mounted up with them; for the Spirit of the Chayot was in them.
18. And the glory of the Lord YHVH went forth from off the threshold of the house, and stood over the Kerubim.
19. And the Kerubim lifted up their wings, and mounted up from the earth in my sight when they went forth, with the Ofanim beside them. And they stood at the door of the east gate of the house of the Lord YHVH; and the Glory (kavod) of Elohi of Israel was above over them.
20. This is the Chayah that I saw under Elohi Yisroel by the river Kebar; and I knew that they were Kerubim.
21. Every one had four faces, and every one four wings; and the likeness of the hands of a man (Adam) was under their wings.
22. And as for the likeness of their faces, they were the faces that I saw by the river Kebar, their appearance and themselves; they went every one straightforward.
B. Book of Isaiah
1. In the year that King Uzziah died I saw Adonai sitting upon a throne, AL (OL), and lifted up, and His train filled the Temple (hekal).
2. Above Him stood the Serafim; each one had six wings; with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he did fly.
3. And one called unto the other, and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord YHVH of Hosts (tzabaoth); the whole earth is full of His Glory (kavod).
4. And the Mothers (Alef, Mem, Shin) of the Gatekeepers (rest of the twenty-two letters) were moved at the voice of them that called, and the house was filled with cloud.